[News] Google Gives Us Open Source Optical Character Recognition

Announcing Tesseract OCR

,----[ Quote ]
| We wanted to let you all know that a few months ago we quietly released -
| or actually re-released - an Optical Character Recognition (OCR) engine
| into open source.
`----

http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/2006/08/announcing-tesseract-ocr.html

Picasa and Google Earth (among other applications) were not Open Source. This
code might help existing OS OCR projects, which many Linux newbies still nag
about (among other areas: voice recognition, games, and Adobe Photoshop).