Re: Perception of Linux Changes at Human Resources

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:46:53 +0100
<1189493.podYMcMq9W@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Wednesday 30 August 2006 19:03 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Linux and Open Source: How They Affect HR Professionals
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> [snip]
>>>
> http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/637577/linux_and_open_source_how_they_affect_hr_professionals/index.html?source=r_technology
>>
>> Roy, this is an excellent article.  I'd love to see it republished
>> verbatim an a major business periodical like Business Week or Time.
>>
>> It does a great job of stating the case for open source fairly,
>> accurately, and briefly.
>>
>> Highly reccomended reading.
>>
>> Rex
>> http://www.open4success.org
>
> Other sources that I read indicate that there is a /serious/ shortage of
> Linux skill. Departments separately seek someone who is proficient with
> Linux so that acquisition, running and maintenance costs are lowered (not to
> mention better security and stability in the enterprise space).
>
> I've noticed that HR folks are no longer intimidated by CV's that spell out
> "Open Source". It no longer means communism, as Microsoft would like IT/HR
> trainers to believe. There has been a lot of character assassination through
> stereotypes by those who resist change, but Linux has broken through. It no
> longer intimidated. It's admired.

Maybe it's just the matter that it took time to adopt;
after all, Linux was only initiated 15 years back. :-)
There's still a fair number of issues, though -- like
DRM -- that could bite it in the ankle, if not the entire
leg off.

It might even be required that Linux servers *support* DRM.
Now that to me looks like a very weird position to take --
but when money is involved, weird things tend to happen,
and the more money, the more quickly they happen... :-)

Ow...where's the aspirin?

> Best wishes,
>
> Roy
>
> PS - I still can't believe that I managed to keep the pace up today. Thesis
> draft is due tomorrow and I'm scared.

Oooh.  Good luck.  Hope they like it. :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.