Re: [News] Will Linux Be Fully-Absorbed Through Change?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
The assumption here is that desktops as we know them will morph/evolve,
leaving Open Source in a batter position, owing to modularity.

Is an HCI revolution just around the corner?

,----[ Quote ]
| Personal computing launched with the IBM PC. But popular computing
| - computing for the masses - launched with the modern WIMP (windows,
| icons, mouse, pointer) interface, which made computers usable by
| ordinary people. As popular computing has grown, the role of HCI
| (human-computer interaction) has increased.
`----

http://www.acmqueue.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=402&page=1

You might argue that people will be forced or compelled to move forward (e.g.
multiple workspaces), so the Linux transition will be a burden on par with
upgrade of an existing O/S. Small mobile devices are another example.

HCI revolution occurred in 1968 at Parc. We've been eating its fruit ever since...but it hasn't changed much.

The real revolution is CCI and HHI, using the computing infrastructure as the substrate.