Re: [News] GIMP Launches Paid Usability Project

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
[snips]

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:41:00 +0100, Jamie Hart wrote:

But it's not brain dead.  If you have only the Gimp running on a virtual
desktop, then you ALT-TAB because you want to go to a particular Gimp
window, whether that's an image or the toolpad.  So what's the problem?

And which is it? An image, or the toolpad?

Whichever you need at the time.

And if I've got an image
sucking up the screen, where the ()*&(*^ are the tools that should be
available in the toolbar where they belong?

They're just an ALT-TAB away, you know the ALT-TAB that you were raving about two messages ago.

Oh, right, they're hidden
somewhere else.  So I bring it to the front so I can select a tool to use,
use it... where the (*^^)( did the toolbar go?

Your memory is that bad? you can't concentrate on more than one thing at a time?

Do you forget other things that aren't front and centre on the screen?

Oh, right, it's freakin'
buggered off *again*.  Stay the hell put, you worthless piece of dingo
droppings.  Except it won't.  It's *designed* to be as unusable as
humanly possible.

Nope, it's designed to be more usable, change your working habits to suit and you'll be more productive than with a restrictive MDI app.

It only becomes a problem when your ALT-TAB list includes other
applications.

Like gimp. Yes.

Nope like everything else. If you only have gimp in the list then you can use ALT-TAB sensibly.

When I use The Gimp, i've usually got a dozen or more image windows
open, if I'm working on one and want to go to another image I can use
alt tab to do it.

Or, if it were a tabbed app, for example, you could use alt-1, alt-2,
even, say, alt-arrow to scroll through the tabs.

But that's using different tools to do the same job. ALT-TAB cycles through open windows, why should you need ALT-1 or ALT-ARROWS?

Yet you'd have an
essentially full screen for viewing and editing,

Except for all the damned space taken up by toolbars, menubars and other assorted crud.

The other graphics app I use is Paintshop Pro 9 on windows, by default you get slightly less than 75% of the screen in which to view the image you're working on. That's pathetic, and if you close down any of the toolbars it's a right pain getting them back.

*plus* actually having
the tools where they belong - i.e. right there, ready to be used, instead
of dicking around looking for them because they've gone and buggered off
again just when you needed them, because of the retarted UI design.

Why can't you find the tools? ALT-TAB brings them up any time you want them.

Hell, if your attention span is that bad, manually resize and position your image windows so that the toolpad is always visible. Job done.

The other advantage to the Gimp way is that you don't waste screen
space, you can have the current image full screen and use ALT-TAB to
bring up the toolpad when you want to change tools.

And do it *again* when you change tools again. And again. And again. Yes, well, maximal inefficiency.

Sure, you can't have both on screen at the same time and not waste screen space. You make a compromise, in your case, resize and position things so you can always see the toolpad but have smaller image windows.

Personally seeing more of the image I'm working on far outweighs the inconvenience of having to ALT-TAB to the toolpad when I want to change tools.

In either case, The Gimp can handle the way we prefer to work. What's brain dead about that?