Re: [News] GIMP Launches Paid Usability Project

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
[snips]

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:59:00 +0100, Jamie Hart wrote:

Then don't use ALT-TAB. Learn to use multiple desktops,

Are you freakin' kidding? I not only have multiple desktops, I have dual
monitors, effectively doubling the desktop count - and I use 'em. Constantly. That doesn't excuse a brain-dead UI.

But it's not brain dead. If you have only the Gimp running on a virtual desktop, then you ALT-TAB because you want to go to a particular Gimp window, whether that's an image or the toolpad. So what's the problem?

It only becomes a problem when your ALT-TAB list includes other applications. i.e. you haven't configured things correctly or you _want_ everything running to be included. In either of those cases, it's your work habits that are the problem, not the Gimp.

Let's look at it from the opposite direction.

When I use The Gimp, i've usually got a dozen or more image windows open, if I'm working on one and want to go to another image I can use alt tab to do it. Using the Windows method, I couldn't do that, I'd have to use the "windows" menu in the app to go to a particular image. That bugs me, I'd rather everything work the same way.

The other advantage to the Gimp way is that you don't waste screen space, you can have the current image full screen and use ALT-TAB to bring up the toolpad when you want to change tools.

This is the sensible way to use ALT-TAB, unlike most other programs that haven't really thought things through.