Re: [News] Microsoft's DRM Hacked

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:39:41 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ arachnid ] on Wednesday 30 August 2006 02:26 \__
>
>> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 18:41:43 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [ Peter Hayes ] on Tuesday 29 August 2006 17:33 \__

>>> They have just 'fixed' it. I saw it somewhere among the feeds.

>          Microsoft tackles anti-copy hole
>

>> You can be sure it'll be in the next MS "Critical Security" update.
>
> More critical than Internet Explorer7 I doubt it, Killing Firefox is a
> higher priority than stopping copyright infringement.

They may get away with it under the current corporatist administration in
the US. I've a feeling the EU's antitrust regulators have had about enough
of Microsoft.

> And let's not forget WGA. The notion of important system updates is
> being misued.

I've been harping on this for years. One of the reasons Windows is so
insecure is that so many Windows users have been burned in the past so now
they refuse to install any updates. I've heard people on the Windows
support groups say they haven't upgraded XP in years. When people ask
for help with things like WGA, there's often a chorus of voices warning
them never to update XP unless something's broken.