Re: ~article~ Google could face Brazil lawsuit

__/ [ Big Bill ] on Thursday 24 August 2006 16:46 \__

> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:20:32 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [ Paul ] on Thursday 24 August 2006 10:13 \__
>>
>>> From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5278370.stm
>>>
>>> Google could face legal action in Brazil for failing to provide
>>> details of site users allegedly involved in pornography and crime.
>>> Brazilian prosecutors say that Google's community website Orkut -
>>> popular in Brazil - contains information promoting crime and child
>>> pornography.
>>>
>>> <snip />
>>
>>In related new, MSN Messenger has just gotten a panic button for kids to
>>report sexual predators. It's sad, isn't it? The Internet has become a
>>heaven for mentally-deranged people.
>
> Much like AISE lately.

G2 and spammers? *grin*

>> And the UK government wants to collect
>>everyone's encryption keys... because of paedophiles.
>
> Yeah right - because of paedophiles! We're all gonna fall for that
> one!

More compelling than "because we need to identify terrorists"? I doubt it.
Either way, there's some serious eavesdropping on Ethernet in American
compuses. And from what I can gather, Windows offers a trap door to all your
files, as well as remote control of the machine. Encryption is one thing
that even remote control cannot penetrate as the passphrase is needed to
decrypted data. Windows Vista Bitlocker appears to be the exception because
the UK government held talk withy Microsoft earlier this year. They may get
a back door to Windows filesystem exception, as well. The solutions to this
would have to be rather radical. As for search engines, I came across the
following yesterday:

http://mrl.nyu.edu/~dhowe/trackmenot/

With AOL around, you can never be sure...

Best wishes,

They're watching!
Mem:    514480k total,   467048k used,    47432k free,    24124k buffers