Re: ~article~ Google could face Brazil lawsuit

Els <els.aNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John Bokma wrote:

>> Anyway, for some time I was wondering:
>>
>> compared to 30 years ago:
>>
>>  - has the probability increased that a child encounters an adult
>>    that shows his private parts?
>>  - has the probability increased that an adult sets up a meeting with
>>    a child?
>
> In the wild: I don't think so. But obviously, the internet is a large
> place with lots of contact. Do the math: how many people do you talk
> to online every day, usenet included? How many people would you have
> been talking to every day if you lived in the pre-internet age?

The problem is, one can only do the math with good figures. It takes
only one adult to abuse a child. When I was young we heard constantly to
be aware of the "kinderlokker" (child enticer?).

>> I wonder if there are real figures of the above, or that just
>> everybody thinks: adult + webcam + child + webcam = abuse heaven.
>
> Do the test yourself - pretend to be a 10 or 11 year old on myspace,
> and see how fast you get 'friends' that aren't quite kosher.

I have been hanging around in a very busy chat, and in 2+ years time
there was just one not kosher person. There was however a "someone"
telling that she was 19, then she was suddenly 17 (jail bait), and when
you where not interested in getting a bj from here, she was suddenly 11.
Some suspected that she was a cop.

>> Moreover, it's not tackling the real problem: lazy ignorant parents.
>> IMNSHO if a kid sees a naked guy on his MSN Messenger the parents
>> should be kicked in their asses, hard.
>
> The problem is, that it's not the other person that's naked on the
> webcam. Kids get lured into exposing themselves, for money. They don't
> even get to see the adult on the other end.

Weird, since most things I have heard mentioned a male showing his
private parts in front of the webcam... Do you have figures of what is
exactly the problem (e.g. x% is lured into exposing him/herself, y% is
confronted with a masturbating male, etc.)

> 12 year old encounters people on MSN, and after making friends (they
> portray themselves as peers, not adults), they get the kid to take his
> shirt off for money. Slowly they get the kid to do a lot more, one
> step at a time. There's a whole network of paedophiles who swap msn
> addresses of kids that are succesfully lured into this.
>
> (Saw a very informative Oprah show a little while ago)

Ah, ok. But I am curious as of figures :-) Most stories I have heard
were of the "guy waving his dick" in front of the webcam type. And of
course guy trying to arrange an IRL.

--
John                Experienced Perl programmer: http://castleamber.com/

UR own Perl RSS Feed http://johnbokma.com/perl/rss-web-feed-builder.html