Re: Windows never forgets

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 22 August 2006 10:29 \__

>> I think that the government should have its own ways of knowing what
>> web pages people visit, rather than depending on a biased and
>> unreliable source that the g'ment has already tried to prosecute. You
>> apparently think that the g'ment shouldn't know what you do, even
>> though every marketer from here to Wichita does know. Be more
>> realistic.
>>
>> I hypothesize that anonymity can be achieved in any case with a bit of
>> trouble. I assume that there are open anonymous encrypted proxies out
>> there, just as with remailers, and you can go through a chain of
>> several to get to your favorite subversive porn sites (_Condy Does
>> Dallas_?) with a bit of lag of course as they randomize the order of
>> packets sent. The fact that you use such a proxy will be known, and
>> this will put you on a list of ppl to be watched -- just like
>> remailers.
>
> There was an interesting article in the San Jose Mercury a few days ago
> on what information the major search companies (Yahoo, Google,
> Microsoft, AOL) collect on you, and how much government and law
> enforcement make use of it.  I don't think the story has been linked to
> here, so here it is:
>
> http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/15315062.htm
>
> This article certainly left me wondering about technical means of
> defeating the data collection, without losing the convenience of
> Google.  I'd be interested to hear what people (more technically
> sophisticated than I) think about such possibilities.

I found the following this morning, Nessuno. I think you may like it.

http://mrl.nyu.edu/~dhowe/trackmenot/

I am only guessing that you have Firefox 1.5+ installed.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
roy      pts/7                         Tue Aug 22 05:39 - 05:43  (00:04)