Re: Microsoft's Evolution is Too Slow and GNUgle Steals Its Show (NYT)

__/ [ cc ] on Sunday 10 December 2006 17:09 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Looking for a Gambit to Win at Google's Game
>

> Do you think replacing one giant monopoly with another giant monopoly
> is going to mean anything different for Linux?

I am not crazy about Google either, but my complaints about Google are very
minor compared to Microsoft critique, which is back and justified by dirty
tactics that they used since day one (includes code theft, ripoffs,
astroturfing, etc).

My gripe with Google: privacy (no data retention/destruction policy), no
valid HTML because they want speed, secrecy, poor contact with customers,
'extending' protocols (e.g. robot.txt, XML site maps), censorship... and the
list goes on and on.

Will Google ever become evil when it growth further("do know evil?" vs. "do
no evil")? I'm not sure. However, I think that people learned their lessons
from Microsoft. One thing that Schmidt stressed very clearly in a recent
conference is that a top priority to Google is data export, which allows the
customer to walk away at will, at any time. Let the best service win.
Integration in services is another matter, but anything else leads to
resentment. Some companies don't mind their image/public perception after
some preliminary steps.

I can't see Google declaring (like Red Hat?) that they are "the next
Microsoft" or "the Microsoft of the Internet". They are still, at least at
this stage, relatively humble. Compare that with another company. Enter MS.

Microsoft : Arrogance leads to Vulnerability

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=514

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Holey (sic) Cow! Longhorn is full of holes...
Swap:  1036184k total,   448168k used,   588016k free,    55772k cached