Re: A million units? Is there some "Buy Windows, get a free Zune" program in the works?

__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Friday 08 December 2006 12:21 \__

> http://blogs.siliconvalley.com/gmsv/2006/12/microsofts_zune.html
>
>    There's a fine line between "eating your own dogfood" and "believing
>    your own BS" and Microsoft's Zune team appears to have finally
>    crossed it. With Zune sales slowing in a season marked by over-
>    consumption and deleterious reviews of the device still echoing
>    through the media (The overall Zune experience is "about as pleasant
>    as having an airbag deploy in your face."), Microsoft has stepped
>    forward and declared that it's on track to sell more than 1 million
>    Zunes by June 30, the end of its fiscal year.
>
> Mentioned in the blog:
>
> http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/147048,CST-FIN-Andy23.article
> http://tinyurl.com/uh6vk
>
> Avoid the loony Zune
>
>    Yes, Microsoft's new Zune digital music player is just plain
>    dreadful. I've spent a week setting this thing up and using it, and
>    the overall experience is about as pleasant as having an airbag
>    deploy in your face.
>
>    "Avoid," is my general message. The Zune is a square wheel, a
>    product that's so absurd and so obviously immune to success that it
>    evokes something akin to a sense of pity.
>
>    The setup process stands among the very worst experiences I've ever
>    had with digital music players. The installer app failed, and an
>    hour into the ordeal, I found myself asking my office goldfish, "Has
>    it really come to this? Am I really about to manually create and
>    install a .dll file?"

The subject lines makes a lot of sense. On the one hand, there is a realistic
estimate of the number of copies sold between January 2007 and July. On the
other hand, Microsoft has a lot to gain by throwing in a a brown Zune.

Microsoft's Zune the salvation of VC1?

,----[ Quote ]
| I believe Microsoft came out with Zune not to counter the iPod
| hardware but to make WMV/WMA relevant again.
`----

http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2006/12/microsofts_zune_teh.html

Poison people with DRM and they'll be stuck...

And you know something? I don't think it's illegal either. Insurance
companies cash in on miscomprehension every day of the week.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |   McDonald's Certified Sandwich Engineer (MCSE)
Mem:    514480k total,   483076k used,    31404k free,     9492k buffers