Re: Click on the beeb

  • Subject: Re: Click on the beeb
  • From: Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:34:41 +0100
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:GFS8slkaykrRl1PQ+7OKCjdTzr0=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
flatfish+++ <flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 05:53:59 +0100, Roy Culley wrote:
>
>> Click, 'BBC's flagship new media and technology series', is on at
>> the moment.
>
> Is that the same BBC that is afraid to go with Open Source CODECS due to
> possible patent problems down the road?
>
> http://aralbalkan.com/795
>
> "At the bbc.backstage conference a year or two back, someone from the BBC
> mentioned that they have to be careful with the codecs they use due to
> licence fees as well as restrictions as a result of third party patents -
> this was their main reason for not going with any of the open source
> codecs, and what was powering the drive for their Dirac codec [
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_(codec) ]."
>
> The same BBC that only offers REAL and Windows Media Format only?

Sounds about right.

"Reminds me" of Roy's attempt to make a new search engine to challenge
Google. Apparently his would be "free".

Of course no one would have used it. Why? Because they'd all be too
scared about the underlying "free licensing" - which could basically
entail them opening their entire IT department to inspection by fat
people sporting corduroy jackets and beards with bits of pizza sticking out.