Re: [News] Microsoft Outlook - Looking Beyond the Marketing Hype

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 08 December 2006 18:02 \__

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook.general/browse_thread/thread/b9e0778c699015c4/ffe97dfb452e8062?hl=en&;
>> http://tinyurl.com/ymgy6a
>
> I thought that was pretty much standard outlook performance.  Is he
> using a virusguard on this machine or not?  They can drag anything to a
> crawl, too.
>
> Why bother with this mess when you don't have to?

It is nice when your music player or E-mail clients runs non-stop for over a
month. Only when you head over to the terminal (or some front end like
KSysGuard) can you realise this...

I am always mildly amused on the rare occasions when I gaze over somebody
else's Windows machine. Things go wrong rather frequently. Yesterday I spent
1 hour doing so (displayed over a projector) and the machine requires a
reboot in order to resolve a serious problem. I can imagine that others
would struggle for hours, supposedly trying to fix the vague problem using
cmd.exe and regedit.exe (good luck with /that/). Reminds me of...

    How to fix your Windows Application when it doesn't work:

      (1) Stop and start the program
       (2) Log in and log out again
        (3) Reboot the machine
         (4) Reinstall the application again
          (5) Reinstall the operating system
           (6) Dance naked around the machine, waving a rubber chicken
            (7) "Take your machine back for servicing"
                - Chris Wedgwood

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Quote when replying in non-real-time dialogues"
Cpu(s):  20.9% user,   2.9% system,   1.0% nice,  75.2% idle