Re: [News] Earthlink May Lose up to 90% of E-mail, Microspam Windows to Blame?

  • Subject: Re: [News] Earthlink May Lose up to 90% of E-mail, Microspam Windows to Blame?
  • From: William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 17:04:51 +0000
  • Code: U++++ L+++
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 16:31:48 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> (Cringely on Earthlink E-mail)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Here is something I wish I were making up. A good friend of mine
>>| noticed last June a sudden and precipitous decline in his volume of
>>| incoming e-mail with the numbers dropping by 80-90 percent. Was he less
>>| popular, less interesting than before? Or maybe some Bayesian filter
>>| had been imposed by his ISP (Earthlink) to suddenly spare him
>>| completely from spam. No such luck.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20061201_001274.html
>>
>> Looking at some comment in Slashdot, it seems evident that SPAM (Windows
>> zombies laregely responsible) is killing E-mail as a communication tool.
>> I personally use password-protected Wikis as means of replacing E-mail
>> because the volume keeps growing and growing.
>
> Interesting - Microsoft Windows could go down in history as the means by
> which email was killed.

And...er...IIRC didn't His Billness say that spam would be dead in two
year? Ah, yes, here we are:-

"A spam-free world by 2006? That's what Microsoft Corp. chairman Bill
Gates is promising."
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/24/tech/main595595.shtml

Ah well, looks like another of Billy Boy's promises has turned to
sh*t....just like his Fista, which started out promising more than it
could finally deliver.

[Wanna bet Ewik will apologise for this? ;-) ]

--
When I hear of a long time smoker dying of lung cancer
I think "That's too bad, but they made their choices".