Re: Vista Activation Server Cracked

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Pirates crack Vista Activation Server
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Pirates have released another ingenious workaround to Vista's
> | copy protection: a hacked copy of Microsoft's yet-to-be-released
> | volume licencing activation server, running in VMware.
> `----
>
> http://apcmag.com/node/4769
>

> Related:
>
> Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's activation
> | technology, Microsoft has the power to stamp out piracy everywhere. But
> | will it choose to do so everywhere? After all, if folks in China or
> | Thailand or Ethiopia have to pay for Vista, they won't be able to run
> | it because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. In which case
> | they may finally wake up to the attractions of free software such as
> | Linux - and it's easy to imagine what that will do to Microsoft's
> | plans for world domination.
> |
> | It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
> | of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
> `----
>
> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html

So....

a) Microsoft still doesn't know how to do security right.  Go figger.
Hasn't even been released, yet exists in full (yet modified form) in
the wild..

"There are two caveats though. Vista still has to be installed with a
KMS product key, so if that activated system ever goes through the WGA
system with a known pirated key, Microsoft will be able to track it
down and eventually close the loop."

b) Next stop - "fix" WGA to point to your friendly h4x0r server running
"Windows Vista Local Activation Server - MelindaGates" using ----
c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts perhaps?

To Roy's point, doesn't having all these cracks and workarounds help
increase adoption of Vista?

I see the hacks as comical, and would never use them myself to help me
adopt Vista.

-Gary