Re: Linux Books and Distro Choice (Was: help help help)

Gordon  <gbplinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Top of the table at the Linux Awards!
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Ubuntu has walked away with Best Distribution at the
>> | Linux Awards held in London last night.
>> `----
>>
>> http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/610
>>

>> Ubuntu - the best Linux distribution?
>
> Interestingly, although I was pleased with Kubuntu 6.06 on this machine, i
> had ENDLESS different troubles with both Kubuntu 6.10 (including the fact
> that changing the screen resolution screwed up access to my external
> firewire HDD would you believe!) and PCLinuxOS, (Open Office took *twenty*
> *five* seconds to launch, no matter what I did), I have gone with OpenSuse
> 10.1 and so far am very pleased. No queer things happening yet!

Ubuntu 6.10 edgy is a buggy heap of shit IMO. I am only sticking with it
because I cant be assed to install a different distro - and, in
fairness, fixes are coming in daily. See Ubuntu forums : there are some
very angry people out there.

major issues for me are

1) Flakey sound (nothing new there- was the same in 5.10)
2) Cant shut down if I have vmware installed - some shit about vmnet1
not releasing its resources). Even IF I sont run vmware in that session.
3) Synaptic rarely works - broken packages abound.

Other than that it's great ...