Re: [News] OSDL's Mission was Accomplished

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Mission Accomplished: Do We Need the New OSDL?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The OSDL's initial mandate -- "To accelerate the deployment of
>| Linux for enterprise computing..." -- created a situation where
>| their success would invalidate their mission. That situation
>| has come to pass and we now find the OSDL in the position not
>| of creating something new but rather reacting to what currently
>| amounts to legal boogeymen.
> `----
>
> http://www.linux-mag.com/content/view/2830/
>
> In a previous statement it was said that the move was motivated by
> "Unprecedented market validation" (for Linux). OSDL is not a company per se,
> so you can't talk of staff cuts. OSDL is more of a panel serving a purpose.
> Evidently, Linux is accepted in the enterprise. Most of OSDL no longer
> serves a purpose because /industry/ will accelerate Linux, /without/ funded
> intervention. The tipping point is /well/ behind us.

The Mobile Linux Initiative is important, I should say, and I think that
the Desktop Initiative still is.  The Carrier Grade work is not
completed, I think, particularly as we've not got 3-mode networking up
to the kernel.

Our business in life is not to succeed but to continue to fail in high spirits.
		-- Robert Louis Stevenson