Re: IBM votes NO on Open XML in ECMA

  • Subject: Re: IBM votes NO on Open XML in ECMA
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 19:38:47 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 07 December 2006 17:54 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Ramon F Herrera <ramon@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>
>> B Gruff wrote:
>>> Subject says it all:-
>>>
>>> http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1264
>>
>> How many voters are there?
>>
>> Does IBM have veto power?
>>
>> What was the result of that vote? Who won?
>>

> I'm not sure what ECMA's rules are, but it always was a manufacturer's
> playground, like the IETF - it's never had any pretence regarding any
> kind of democratic system like the ITU has.

Can Microsoft make a deal with IBM to change its mind? Hmmm... I guess it's a
whale you can't just swallow and use as your sockpuppet or Trojan horse for
a collaborate community, or one that facilitates choice (e.g. Corel). IBM's
staff seems to have criticised 'Open' XML for quite some time. I am not sure
that one can even implement that 'standard' (7,000 pages just to document
it? Cost $1000 to print that) for free. Many people seem to miss that last
point and actually defend Novell's action as a result. They also don't
understand the issue of bidirectional/ inter/operability, or even consider
smaller players such as AbiWord.

Clearly, Microsoft abuses its power to hinder industry's effort to benefit
all not just by easing communication, but also by offering choice and
lowering costs (entry barrier).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Mod me up and I'll mod you 'insightful'"