Re: [News] American Government Tries to Change Indian IP Laws, Monopolies Lobbying

begin  oe_protect.scr
> U.S. official blasts Indian patent system
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| A U.S. official leading a business delegation here called India's
>| patent and copyright laws antiquated and unable to offer
>| protections necessary for foreign companies to operate
>| here... Addressing a business seminar in New Delhi, Lavin said
>| India needs to modernize its patent and copyright laws to
>| attract more foreign capital. Lavin is leading a business
>| delegation that includes 225 U.S. corporate executives from
>| about 100 companies such as IBM, AT&T and Motorola.
> `----
>
> http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196601164&cid=RSSfeed_eetimes_newsRSS
>
> More corporate crusades in pursuit of protecting American monoplies around
> the world.

They do have a major balance of payments problem, so I suppose that
they're trying to address that.  It's disappointing to see the US trying
so desperately to push their horribly broken patent system onto other
countries.  Copyright works just for for software, and copyrights should
not be in place for scores of years;  this will merely prevent progress
and stifle innovation.

I've always considered statesmen to be more expendable than soldiers.