Re: [News] Green Party Accuses Microsoft of "Unacceptable Bribery" in OLPC Project

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Wednesday 06 December 2006 15:36 \__

http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/vnunet/news/2170267/update-green-party-labels

>> Microsoft? Doing things unethical? Who would have thought it?
>> It's upsetting Microsoft is trying to get kids in OLPC locked
>> in so they can squeeze money out of them too. That's just disgusting, but
>> it's what I've come to expect from Microsoft.
>
> Yep, that's about the size of it.
> Presumably a "cut-down" Windows that is very limited in what it can do,
> sold for next to nothing or given away ("contributed" even), and make sure
> that you lock them in.
>
> It's "business".  Don't be disgusted - be aware, and make others aware, of
> what's going on;  it's happening:-)

They said it might be Starter edition that they'd try (if they did).
Translation: children are only permitted to run 3 precesses at most (I might
add that Sugar multitasks, but handles one application at the time, IIRC,
like Palm OS).

Way to go. 'Bridging' the divide. Finding more constomers. Imposing organic
restriction...

Best wishes,

Windows is 'intuitive': go to 'Start' to finish session
 12:20pm  up 49 days 22:34,  8 users,  load average: 1.22, 0.93, 0.84