Re: [News] Only 6% of Business Computer in the States Can Run Vista Premium

  • Subject: Re: [News] Only 6% of Business Computer in the States Can Run Vista Premium
  • From: "amicus_curious" <ACDC@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 09:53:37 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
news:1739755.FU898aB23g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Study: Just Six Percent of American Business PCs can run Vista Premium
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "This difference suggests that jump in system requirements to run
> | Vista presents a significant barrier to adoption," he said.
> `----
>
> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/study_just_six_percent_of_american_business_pcs_can_run_vista_premium.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
> http://tinyurl.com/wfmmt
>
> It is therefore not surprising when we hear of plans to migrate (upgrade)
> millions of PC's to Linux.

How does that follow?  The problem with Vista is generally that the video
adapter capability is insufficient for the maximum experience potential.
But that is true regardless of which OS is used.  The rest of Vista operates
just fine.  I have personally upgraded my home workstation which is a 3 1/2
year old IBM Intellistation with an nVidia 128Mb video board.  It gave me a
1.9 rating, based on the video card.  The other values, for processor and
memory, were substantially higher.  The base machine is a Xeon 2.4GHz with
1GB memory.

Also, lack of resources to migrate to Vista hardly means a migration to
Linux, it simply means no migration at all.