Re: [News] Samba to Leave Microsoft and Novell Behind

BearItAll wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> The Ides of March Approaches for Novell
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | So, Novell now has something concrete to ponder - on or about the
>> | 15th of March, 2007, they should expect to lose the right to
>> | distribute updates and improvements to the very software that
>> | gives them their precious "interoperability" with Windows -
>> | Samba. And they should expect other projects to follow,
>> | leaving Novell and Microsoft to maintain their own forks.
>> `----
>>

> http://boycottnovell.com/2006/12/04
the-ides-of-march-approaches-for-novell/

>> Shuttleworth comments on the deal in the Open Week IRC chats:
>>
>> http://boycottnovell.com/2006/12/04
more-shuttleworth-on-novell-microsoft/

> I can understand Samba's concerns, but isn't the fact of their taking away
> Novell's right to distribute updates one of those things that the free
> software movement is trying to prevent.

Thats not what the samba team are doing.

They are preserving samba rights so that it can be distributed
without being sued by novel or micoshaft through hidden patents.

Novel and micoshaft have every right to distribute
providing they obey GPL3 licensing conditions and legally not
threaten to sue users which they are refusing to do.
They are violent idiotic luzers and should not be given second
chances.