Re: [News] Wintel Being Left Behind as AMD Quad Core Takes Crown

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> AMD aims to reclaim CPU crown with 2007 quad-core
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | ...the puzzle is coming together and suggests that AMD may have a
> | shot at trumping Intel by mid-2007, at least until the blue team
> | rolls out 45 nm chips.
> `----
>
> http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/12/01/amd_aims_to_reclaim_cpu_crown/

All the benchmarks I've seen of the quad core show them to be not only
slower than Intel's quad core, the AMD part is slower than Intel's dual
core offering.

> They are Linux supporters.

We'll see how far that gets them if they don't release a set of ATI drivers,
or at least publish the specs. ATI and NVIDIA have both been treated as
pariahs within the free software community for quite some time now. I
expect AMD to join that illustrious group if they don't submit to the
demands of the FSF extremists.

<Snippage>

> AMD reveals its future plans
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | INQ "That brings the question of drivers. AMD has been a staunch
> | supporter of Linux, while many users of ATI had a hay-ride with drivers
> | for Linux operating system. Nvidia, as the prime competitor has support
> | of Linux community, while every once a while we hear news about
> | petitions to ATI, drivers not working as intended."
> |
> | Phil "AMD is driving the industry to an open world, and we focus our
> | strengths and with combined approach, achieve what's best for
> | development of the industry around us. All ISVs are important for us."
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35626

Like I said... Basically, this is double-talk for "we ain't open sourcing
the drivers".

--
"This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is
not God who kills the children. Not Fate that butchers them or Destiny