Re: [News] Vista Targets Wrong Crowd, Offers Eye Candy, Perils Productivity

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 04 December 2006 13:56 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Which crowd should Vista be after?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The way I see it, Microsoft is targeting the wrong crowd.
>> | With its flashy Aero theme, and parental controls, it seems
>> | more aimed to be purely aesthetical people, at not at the true
>> | business crowd. What the business crowd wants is an affordable
>> | upgrade price, flexible solutions, and minimal training
>> | required for the employees who are switching.
>> |
>> | Vista just ain't giving that. First of all, they apply a fancy
>> | theme, which although looking good, doesn't really do much
>> | except slow the computer down (a lot). Then, it adds many needless
>> | visual features. To top it off, a lot of businesses will need to
>> | upgrade their perfectly-fine-until-now computers to be able to
>> | support the new operating system.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.daniweb.com/blogs/entry1095.html
>>
>> Vista on laptops -- what an energy drainer.
>>
>> Here's 'Aero Glass for Linux', been available for 2.5 years:
>>
>>         http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=13969
>>

> I hate to be an old stick-in-the-mud, but I don't like these transparent
> windows. They are horrible to work with, even if you make your desktop
> picture something that you can read text off, unlike in those pictures
> where the person seemed to have gone for the least likely backgrounds for
> those who opt for transparent client areas.
>
> Even in very early days of programming on MS Win, transparent was always
> available as a client back ground, programmers didn't use it except for
> shaped borderless windows (as in CD controls), simply because it isn't a
> nice system for the users to work with.

I agree. Translucency gets the user distracted (yes, I tried it). The only
place where it seems reasonable is maybe, just maybe, terminals. I am not
sure about window borders/decorations exclusively, but surely it's just
CPU/GPU murder that gives little or no benefit. The same goes for shadows,
but mild shadows that are drawn without Composite are cheap to render. They
even exist in Windows XP.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
roy      pts/0        cg001a.halls.man Mon Dec  4 11:49   still logged in