Re: [News] Futurist Suggests Taking Education Online (with FOSS?)

begin  oe_protect.scr
> ...Where it's platform-agnostic, of course (and it typically runs FOSS on the
> servers).
>
> Futurist: To fix education, think Web 2.0
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Online communities are forming around a wide variety of topics.
>| Amateur astronomers, for example, are sharing information among
>| themselves and even with professionals.
> `----

Astronomy has always been one of those subjects, rather like FOSS, where
the more eyes the better, be they amateur (unpaid) or professional
(paid).  There are other subjects, many of them scientific like FOSS and
astronomy which benefit in similar ways, but I'm quite sure that a lot
of non-scientific areas of interest can benefit similarly.

The problem is that we need to get back to the idea of sharing is good,
and amateur status is very good.

> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6140175.html
>
> Communities, sharing, collaboration... sounds like the Open Source mantra,
> which is why the so-called Web 2.0 is assimilated to FOSS.
>
> Related:
>
> Welcome to the Open Schools Alliance
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The Government spends a fortune and ignores its own
>| research
>|
>| The DfES and Becta ignore their own research that
>| Open Source Software can save schools between 24%
>| and 44% on ICT and advise schools to buy through
>| eLearning Credits and procurement frameworks thato
>| ffer virtually no Open Source Software.
> `----
>
> http://www.openschoolsalliance.org/

That's because they get taken to expensive dinners by proprietary
vendors.

> Web 2.0 Companies choose MySQL
>
> http://www.theopenforce.com/2006/07/alwayson_confer.html
>

> Winning OpenSource Frameworks in Web 2.0
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| When I started computing more than a decade ago I remember it took me weeks
>| to learn a new program for self-expression, calculation or collaboration.
>| Today it's fun, it takes me about five minutes total, it doesn't require
>| any skills and within seconds I can take part in a worldwide distributed
>| live-communication.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| The open source community provides various tools that offer a useful
>| environment for complex Web 2.0 applications and can help an organization
>|
>|     * take advantage of the new social and workplace trends
>|     * lower costs and improve functionality
>|     * embrace innovative new products, services and applications
>|     * increase knowledge and capability
> `----
>
> http://andreasengel.com/2006/08/winning-opensource-frameworks-in-web.html
>

> SOA + RIA + OSS = Web 2.0
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Open source software is the underpinning of many SOA and RIA solutions.
>| Open source software is the dominant solution for Ajax RIA interfaces...
>| Web 2.0 is also about collaboration and using the Internet as a social
>| network. It is hard to find a better example of this spirit than within
>| the open source communities. Open source software is built socially.
>| Communication and transparency are core values of an open source
>| project.
> `----
>
> http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid26_gci1215261,00.html
>

> 'MySQL, Linux powers Web 2.0' - O'Reilly
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Without Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP many Web 2.0 companies would not
>| exist today. This is according to Tim O'Reilly, CEO of O'Reilly Media and
>| the person most often credited for coining the term Web 2.0.
> `----
>
> http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1125

Ryan's Law:
	Make three correct guesses consecutively
	and you will establish yourself as an expert.