[News] Futurist Suggests Taking Education Online (with FOSS?)

...Where it's platform-agnostic, of course (and it typically runs FOSS on the
servers).

Futurist: To fix education, think Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Online communities are forming around a wide variety of topics.
| Amateur astronomers, for example, are sharing information among
| themselves and even with professionals.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6140175.html

Communities, sharing, collaboration... sounds like the Open Source mantra,
which is why the so-called Web 2.0 is assimilated to FOSS.

Related:

Welcome to the Open Schools Alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| The Government spends a fortune and ignores its own
| research
|
| The DfES and Becta ignore their own research that
| Open Source Software can save schools between 24%
| and 44% on ICT and advise schools to buy through
| eLearning Credits and procurement frameworks thato
| ffer virtually no Open Source Software.
`----

http://www.openschoolsalliance.org/

Web 2.0 Companies choose MySQL

http://www.theopenforce.com/2006/07/alwayson_confer.html

Winning OpenSource Frameworks in Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| When I started computing more than a decade ago I remember it took me weeks
| to learn a new program for self-expression, calculation or collaboration.
| Today it's fun, it takes me about five minutes total, it doesn't require
| any skills and within seconds I can take part in a worldwide distributed
| live-communication.
|
| [...]
|
| The open source community provides various tools that offer a useful
| environment for complex Web 2.0 applications and can help an organization
|
|     * take advantage of the new social and workplace trends
|     * lower costs and improve functionality
|     * embrace innovative new products, services and applications
|     * increase knowledge and capability
`----

http://andreasengel.com/2006/08/winning-opensource-frameworks-in-web.html

SOA + RIA + OSS = Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software is the underpinning of many SOA and RIA solutions.
| Open source software is the dominant solution for Ajax RIA interfaces...
| Web 2.0 is also about collaboration and using the Internet as a social
| network. It is hard to find a better example of this spirit than within
| the open source communities. Open source software is built socially.
| Communication and transparency are core values of an open source
| project.
`----

http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid26_gci1215261,00.html

'MySQL, Linux powers Web 2.0' - O'Reilly

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1125