Re: [News] Advice to a Linux Migrants

news:25934464.qjIFM0Ndbt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Top 5 Advices Before You Switch To Linux
>
> ,----[ Q ]
> | Advice 1: Linux is different
> |
> | Advice 2: File System and files location
> |
> | Advice 3: Programs installation and uninstallation
> |
> | Advice 4: Your rights
> |
> | Advice 5: Command line
> `----
>
> http://www.youtux.org/content/view/106/2/

    Not a bad start, but needs to go a bit more in depth.

<quote>
All system files in Windows are in the 'Windows' folder, and installed
programs are in 'Program files'. Linux has totally different files location,
and be ready for this. The main point here is that you, i.e. 'yourname',
will have your personal files in /home/yourname/desktop/ folder. There are
no 'My Documents', 'My Music' or 'My Videos' folders by default, but you can
create them in /home/yourname/ and make a link on Desktop. Also, notice that
Linux alternatives for Windows C:, D:, etc drives (partitions) are Hda1,
Hda2, etc.
</quote>

    That last part is a bit misleading. You don't do typically don't do a
"cd /Hda2" for example, but rather different partitions are just "mounted"
(a concept which may be alien to many windows users) at arbitrary points in
your file system tree.

    It would have also been nice if the author explained what the top
directories are for (this has been standardized via LSB, right?). E.g. /bin
is where all your programs are kept. Might be even better if they explained
the rational behind the Linux design, so that things make sense for the
Windows user (I suppose that since Linux has much more emphasis on the
command line, it makes sense to have a central place where all the
executables are placed, so that it's easier to specify a the search-path).

    - Oliver