Re: No Wonder the Hiring Standards at Microsoft Has Declined...

  • Subject: Re: No Wonder the Hiring Standards at Microsoft Has Declined...
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 20 Dec 2006 13:45:33 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Have a look at these...
> Microsoft Interview Questions
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The following are actual questions from actual interviews
> | conducted by Microsoft employees on the main campus.
> `----
> http://www.sellsbrothers.com/fun/msiview/default.aspx?content=question.htm

Actually, these are very good questions.  It's not knowing the correct
answers, but how you answer the questions.

If you don't know the answer (number of automobiles or manhole covers),
will you try to come up with an answer?  Will you attempt to justify
it?  Will you defend an answer you made up?

If there is a solution, such as breaking the bar such that you have 1/7
2/7 and 4/7 and can exchange the bars, will you be able to think out of
the box to get that solution?

If the problem can't be solved (the 4 women), how much time will you
spend trying to prove to yourself that it cannot be solved.  Think
about it, would you want a project manager who "fudged the numbers" to
claim that it could be done?  Would you want him to assume that because
the customer says it can be done, that it can be done?

Can you interpret to your benefit.  If you put all of the blue marbles
into both jars evenly first, then put the red marbles on top of each
jar, then you pick the marble from the topmost layer, your chances of
getting a red marble is 100%.  The challenge is understanding that you
are the one who can put in the marbles any way you want, and pick any
marble you want.  I'm sure Microsoft's legal department always gets
this right :D.

Each of the riddles indicates the character of the person answering the
question, not just their intellect.