Re: [News] The Next Ubuntu Linux Might Gets 3-D Login Screen

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 20 December 2006 19:11 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 20 Dec 2006 05:50:50 +0000
> <1301546.9sHQlTP8bS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> First there's this mockup:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28313023@N00/327762113/
>>
>> Here are some more links:
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SlickBoot
>>
>> Apparently it could make it into Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (7.04). It's
>> hardware-accelerated. ATi/Nvidia drivers will probably have been in place
>> by then (out of the box).
>>
>> Other work from the same guy:
>>
>> http://macslow.thepimp.net/?page_id=18
>> http://macslow.thepimp.net/projects/lowfat/preview-1.swf
>> http://macslow.thepimp.net/projects/lowfat/preview-1.ogg
>
> Hm.  Maybe I'm getting old but I for one fail to see the point.
> I like the notion of making it more robust and the delineations
> clearer, though, but that's about it.

That's because you're a pragmatic adult. Others fancy the eye candy (and will
most likely shut down/log off frequently). I rarely see GRUB and I sometimes
wonder why I thought about customising/hacking. I've stipped many things
off, including UI animations...

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "In hell, treason is the work of angels"
Tasks: 138 total,   1 running, 135 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie