Re: [News] The Linux Stigma, Time for a Change

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:11:16 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 19 December 2006 13:19 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Why now is the best time to switch to Linux
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>

> http://www.newstance.com/2006/12/18/why-now-is-the-best-time-to-switch-to-linux/
>>
>> It's a wonderful piece of FUD, isn't it?  You pay a lot of people to
>> fill the internet and to tell everyone they know how difficult something
>> is, in over time, it's inevitable that those who do not know will fall
>> for the "majority must be right" fallacy.

Heh! Lot's of FUD alright. I see one jerk "Brian" spouts: "When I need the
power of UNIX, I turn to OS X. It’s not as fast as Linux, wouldn’t use
it in the server room. However for the desktop, there is no better UNIX."
Except OSX is *not* UNIX, as we know. It's UNIX *like*.

Some of the poor things complain that they'd actually have to *learn*
something (heaven...er..sorry! Microsoft forbid!)

> It's the big lie approach. Ballmer and the gang have taken a lesson from
> history. Remember what the German Minister of Propaganda said in the
> earlier 20th century.
>
> I can vividly remember a video taken in a Microsoft conference. They
> instill in the mind of people the false notion that Linux kernels need to
> be recompiled, among other things.

Which is BS of course. You don't have to compile a kernel unless you
*wish* to.

> In fact, caught this morning....
>
> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/business_applications/microsoft_calls_on_geek_squad.html#comments
>
> See what he says about Linux (out of the blue in fact) and the reactions,
> including mine.

> More quiet storms in:
>
> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/bad_santa.html#comments
>
> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/security/microsoft_should_take_out_its_real_competitiors.html#comments
>
> The editor there has become a shill, so I could no longer bite my tongue
> and I began commenting after a long time of just lurking. Even Ray Ozzie
> has seen some of my comment, which weren't too flattering.

Indeed.

--
When I hear of a long time smoker dying of lung cancer
I think "That's too bad, but they made their choices".