[News] Sony Keeps Target on WorkStation3 (sic) Sales

Sony keeps targets for PS3 shipments

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony said Thursday it sees no need to change its target to ship 2
| million units of its PlayStation 3 game console worldwide by the
| end of December and 6 million by the end of next March.
`----

http://news.com.com/2110-1043_3-6143631.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/yhv9l9

That's a lot of Linux boxes in people's living rooms. Predictions say that
the number could exceed 100 million within years (see below).

Related:

Strategy Analytics: The Pressure is on Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Research firm Strategy Analytics claims that with the PS3 now
| launching the pressure is actually on Microsoft to convince
| consumers and loyal PlayStation gamers to "switch camps."
| Ultimately, the firm sees Sony trouncing the competition with
| over 120 million units sold by 2012.
` ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14480

The Next Generation Game Consoles

,----[ Quote ]
| The majority of the original 24 million Xbox consoles are only a few
| years old, while far more of the 111 million PlayStation 2 users are
| ready to upgrade, given that their boxes are now several years old.
|
| Still, Microsoft has only sold 6 million of the new Xbox 360s in the
| last year, which isn't an improvement over the pace of the first Xbox, a
| nd certainly not impressive given that, for the last year, it has only
| been competing against the old PlayStation 2.
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Q4.06/5B47C6B2-0191-4825-80C9-F6EBCA0E3B23.html

PS3 Yellow Dog Linux Install Videos

,----[ Quote ]