Re: [News] Pondering a Migration to Linux After 10 Days with Vista 'Ultimate'?

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:35:05 GMT, Freeride wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 03:08:58 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 07:21:40 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>>| Overall Windows Vista is most definitely a strong effort by |
>>>Microsoft to replace Windows XP. Unfortunately thanks to many of | the
>>>problems I ran into over the last 10 days I can't recommend | it for
>>>anyone but early adopters or those who don't mind finding | work-arounds
>>>for these types of problems. Ultimately Windows | Vista does remind me
>>>of the ill-fated Windows Millennium |
>>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Almost all of his problems can be attributed to hardware drivers.  His
>> mouse cursor problem, likely a video driver problem.  His suspend
>> problem, likely needs a bios update.  The only (perhaps) legitimate
>> gripe about the OS itself is his experience with force terminating
>> Windows Explorer, but then i've not seen that problem.  Sounds like it
>> may have been related to some of the other driver related problems he
>> was experiencing.
>>
>> After a few weeks from Vista retail launch, most of the hardware
>> problems should be sorted out by vendors, either issuing updated drivers
>> or bios updates.  The same was true of when XP was released.
>>
>> I'm not sure why he's complaining that Documents and Settings folder is
>> gone.. there is a compatability symlink in place for apps that try to
>> use it directly.
>>
>> As for his comments about running Vista in 512MB, he was doing so with
>> Aero enabled... if you are going to use the minimum requirements, don't
>> use Aero.  It will be just as fast as using Vista with 1MB and Aero
>> enabled.
>
> "First things first, let’s talk about the installation. I decided to
> upgrade a mainstream Compaq V6101US which had Windows XP (Media Center
> Edition) pre-installed that I picked up at the local BJs. I decided on
> this model since it sported the “Vista Ready” sticker and had very average
> specs for a notebook."
>
> I guess “Vista Ready” is all a load of shit then?

Yes and no.  All that means is that hardware is expected to be able to meet
Vista requirements once Vista Retail ships.  There's no guarantee that it
will meet said requirements before it ships.

As an example, nVidia claims their new 8800 line of video cards is "vista
ready" but there aren't drivers to allow it to run on Vista, other than in
stock SVGA mode.  They claim drivers will be available before the retail
launch.