Re: startup acrobat reader takes a lot of time

  • Subject: Re: startup acrobat reader takes a lot of time
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 13:10:55 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.gentoo
__/ [Aragorn] on Thursday 02 February 2006 12:13 \__

> On Thursday 02 February 2006 08:54, Jan Schubert stood up and spoke the
> following words to the masses in /alt.os.linux.gentoo...:/
>
>> For some time the startup of the acrobat readers takes ages to come
>> up. Any hints in here?
>
> Hard to tell...  It's proprietary software. ;-)
>
> Why not use a Free & Open Source Software alternative?  /xpdf,/ /kpdf?/
>
> ;-)

Same opinion here. It was long ago that I set Acrobat Reader to be the
secondary application (accessible from the context mane if needed) while
KGhostView is the default viewer in Konqueror (and Firefox too). It takes
just a couple of seconds to open documents, even without that initial, first
launch (unlike Adobe's resource beast). Speaking of which, it is also more
responsive, it works neatly and seamlessly over FTP (I often generate PDF's
remotely) and leaves more memory available.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com
  1:05pm  up 16 days  8:21,  12 users,  load average: 0.89, 0.52, 0.50