Re: Linux Beats OSX (Tiger) Performance

__/ [ GreyCloud ] on Wednesday 22 February 2006 05:07 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> (probably no surpirse here)
>>
>> http://sekhon.berkeley.edu/macosx/
>>
>> Linux versus Mac OS X and G5 versus Opteron Benchmarks
>
> What are you trying to do?  Make me sick?? :-(
>
> I was wondering why IBM and Apple had to get together to make a custom
> processor for Apple.  To slow it down.
>
> It seems industry is getting quite dishonest.

I  never  had any doubt in my mind. Macs are slow. They are built for  de-
signers;  they are built for 'showtime'. I would never want to run an  ex-
periment  on a candy Apple. Then again, it's an inevitable tradeoff.  This
amateur  benchmark that was conducted does not do a like-with-like compar-
sion. Even a like-with-like benchmark suffers from subjectivity, as in all
benchmark  that  choose  conditions that support the  hypothesis  (or  the
source of funding).