Re: unable to play audio cd with suse 10

  • Subject: Re: unable to play audio cd with suse 10
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 11:34:20 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [mst] on Monday 02 January 2006 07:20 \__

> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 10:34:14 +0530 Sudhakar <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I am not sure if this was answered already but I could not see it with
>> my search in google groups.
>
> Common problem - your groups.google is broken.
>
>> I have "82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller". I am
>> able to play mp3 files. When I try to use audio cd and play it with kscd
>> or xmms-cd then I am not able to listen anything. kscd displays a
>> message in the GUI saying "No matching freedb entry found".
>
> Bring up the mixer and ensure all channels are on and
> that the volume levels are adjusted accordingly. If
> that doenst solve it, ensure you have an audio cable
> from the CD player to the sound card/mobo.

...Sorry  to 'steal' this thread and post about a sound problem of my own,
but:

My  sound card, which is built onto an Intel Celeron-type motherboard does
not  appear to allow sound balance to be changed. I tried this with Ubuntu
in  the past and it was not working. I also had Mandrake, but I can't  re-
call  if this worked; I suspect not. I have had SuSE 9.3 installed on this
machine ever since (several months), but still the same issue.

When  attempting  to shift balance to one side of the  output  (speakers),
there is no effect. It's as if the balance function is altogether ignored.
It's  quite necessary in my case because a certain side is channelled to a
separate room. At present, I need to physically pull out wires to mute one
side.