Re: Linux Makes Computing Boring

  • Subject: Re: Linux Makes Computing Boring
  • From: William Poaster <willpoast@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:20:00 +0000
  • Desktop: KDE 3.5.0 Level "a"
  • Email: Use ROT13
  • Linux-registered-user: 305646
  • Machine: #1, Drive #1
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Note: I ONLY post through Giganews
Once upon a Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:06:09 +0000 dreary, as I laboured tired &
weary, came a tapping at my door when Roy Schestowitz posted this, &
nothing more...

> __/ [John A. Bailo] on Tuesday 10 January 2006 13:47 \__
>
>> I keep searching Google News using the keyword *linux* for something
>> interesting, something /snazzy/.
>>
>> But it's getting harder and harder to find such things.
>>
>> I mean, sure, there's more and more serious articles about Linux and
>> Open Source and clearly its been adopted into mainstream engineering and
>> business applications.   But these are the kind of meat and potatoes
>> applications that Unix has always been used for, that handle vast
>> transactions, support precision mathematics and monitor life critical
>> processes, but for which the home user has no comprehension.
>>
>> I guess what linux does is turn OS computing back to what it used to be:
>> a real utility, solid and dependable, just there to run things.   It was
>> Microsoft that tried to put lots of finery on an "OS" and make it the
>> sizzle, but not the steak.    The problem is: people got hungry once
>> they realized they wanted steak, not sizzle.
>
> With  all  due respect, I find your posts rather erratic and  unworthy  of
> trust.  A  day ago you were whining that Linux offers no lightweight  edi-
> tors.  Later  that day, you complained about imaging software,  suggesting
> that  Linux only offers bloat like Gwenview. Then came the complaint about
> a context menu in Firefox.
>
> Have  you got that Windows XP wallpaper issue sorted out? What happened to
> "I can do it in XP, but not in Linux"? And why dis you E-mail me about it?
>
> If  you talk the talk, you've got to walk the walk, John. You have got  to
> actually  understand  Linux, get to grips with it, and have some  orienta-
> tion. Some of your recent rants about Linux did not identify deficiencies,
> but only proved that Linux is nothing but ideaology to you -- an ideaology
> that you at times betray.

Bailo is unstable IMO. He *pretends* to be a linux advocate, but is really
a windows user. Sometime ago, he even tried morphing to get around filters.
IMHO he's best ignored.

--
98% of linux problems *windows* users whine about,
emanate from somewhere between the chair and the PC.