Re: own web site in my own PC

  • Subject: Re: own web site in my own PC
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 06:01:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.websites
__/ [Galen] on Wednesday 11 January 2006 20:21 \__

> In news:dq1c1q$rc2$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
> Jimmy <triantaj@xxxxxxxxx> had this to say:
>
>  My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
>
>> How can i host my own web site in my own PC that runs Win XP
>> PROFESSIONAL?

I would recommend Apache (Or LightSpeed?) is you ever see long-term prospects
for the site and wish to keep stability up and costs low. Do not lock
yourself to a product that is undesirable too early on.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/iiiisin2.mspx

> As an alternative, server software, such as Apache has Windows builds.
> Hmm... I hear a lot of talk of people hosting with the LAMP stack but WAMP?
> That should be interesting to see your uptime with needing to reboot every
> Patch Tuesday...
>
> Anyhow, next on the list is an IP address... Don't have a static IP
> address? Then you'll need something to make it point dynamically. I have
> nothing invested in this company but registered a couple of domain names
> there recently - www.eurodns.com - they have it configured with some
> software that will let you point to a dynamic IP address with updating -
> meaning you can use your current ISP as-is, with a dynamic IP address, and
> it will update the changed IP address for you. I'm sure another vendor
> offers the same thing but, well, I haven't bumped into them yet.
>
> Best of luck...
>
> Galen

I am aware of Web services that handle DNS and thus point to your computer
given requests for a domain you own. I imagine that they only work for fixed
(static) addresses. Contacting your ISP and requesting a fixed address (even
for a cost) is worthwhile. Reserving an address for you if often a
possibility, technically speaking.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  5:55am  up 32 days 13:06,  13 users,  load average: 1.57, 0.91, 0.76