Re: [News] AP: Unanimous Vote to Fine Microsoft

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 04 Jul 2006 00:10:12 +0100
<1398315.vl0f50TcO3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> EU Regulators Support Fining Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In a major step toward new penalties against Microsoft Corp., Europe's
> | antitrust regulators voted unanimously Monday in favor of fining the
> | world's largest software company for flouting a 2004 ruling, two people
> | close to the case said.
> `----
>
>         http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/ap/2006/07/03/ap2856383.html

Fine.

Will it fix the market?  Is there even a hope for the
PC desktop market in the US or in Europe to ever become
anything but Wintel-dominated?

At least with Linux and FreeBSD there still is some hope;
a pity about BeOS and AmigaOS, though.  (I'm wondering
if Germany still has a bunch of Amiga enthusiasts running
around, playing with their own checkered balls as opposed
to those watching the FIFA stuff. :-) )  I don't know what
to think about Solaris/x86.  HURD is somewhere...where,
I don't know currently.  Maybe Linux eclipsed it.

And then there are the other markets.  Servers look
hot right now for Linux.  Mobile phones and Linux fit
reasonably well togther, though Linux is so invisible
on such one might think "it's just another windows-based
device".  (Note: windows, not Microsoft Windows(tm).)

I wish I could see a multimillion-dollar fine as more than
a slap on the wrist.  Microsoft makes $33B *profits* per year.

I sure hope some of that goes towards improving code at some point...
:-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.