Re: [News] Visual Basic Easily Ported to Linux

__/ [ Paul Hovnanian P.E. ] on Friday 07 July 2006 04:18 \__

> "Mathew P." wrote:

>> On 2006-07-06, Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>> > REAL Software Ships REALbasic 2006 Release 3 for Linux; Gives Visual
>> > Basic Development Teams a Quick Path to Linux
>> >
>> > ,----[ Quote ]
>> > `----
>> >
>> >                 http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2006/7/emw407972.htm
>>
>> My response to the article title is *who would want to?* With all the
>> languages avaiable in open source, there is a reason anyone would be using
>> visual basic/visual studio to begin with?
>
> How else are you going to port VB 'object oriented' apps which may have
> hundreds of thousands of lines of code and pass variables between object
> methods using global variables? Nobody knows how they work anymore (they
> probably didn't even have a clue when they wrote them) and they aren't
> going to touch one line of that object oriented spaghetti.

Exactly. What about companies whose programs need to be ported? When built
from the ground up, things might be simple. But not when you have some
codebase in existence -- that which you wish to port for a minority
userbase.

Mono and other .NET solutions/crossovers for Linux can truly help. The only
problem is where they encourage the use of Microsoft technology as in
Google's use of Wine in Picasa, which was not built with toolkits like Qt
(KeyHole/Google Earth and Picasa before the acquisition made different
design choices). The possibility for portability might often persuade
developers to wrongly opt for Microsoft development models, that have a
legal and implementational barrier.

Best wishes,

VISTA - Venereally-Infectious, Sexually-Transmitted Aliment
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  8:35am  up 70 days 13:38,  12 users,  load average: 0.51, 1.45, 1.60