Re: [News] How Do Different Operating Systems Treat the CPU?

__/ [ Peter Jensen ] on Friday 07 July 2006 15:16 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Emacs is an operating system, too. Or so they say...
>
> I'm fairly sure that booting the kernel with init=/usr/bin/emacs would
> work (FSVO work).  The sanity of doing so, I would however question.
> Emacs may be a fairly good OS, but it could use an editor that doesn't
> suck!

You probably already know this, but I was referring to a common joke. Some
people perceive Emacs as the only program which they need to operate a
machine (setting kernel aside). This kind of connects to that silly comment
made the other day (directed at the founder Blake, IIRC). "Firefox
can/should become an O/S", it said. More and more people use a particular
comparison to evangelise Ubuntu. "Ubuntu versus Windows is like Firefox
versus Internet Exploder", they say.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Every polar bear is left-handed
Cpu(s):  19.9% user,   3.5% system,  15.4% nice,  61.2% idle