Re: [News] How Do Different Operating Systems Treat the CPU?

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 09 July 2006 08:48 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 08 July 2006 09:10 \__
>>
>>> <snip />
>>
>> It is enormously cheaper to but SD cards from on-line auctions (name that
>> E Brand!). I bought my two cards for almost an order of magniture (less)
>> the RRP. If you need some ROM's, I've got a collection. None for Mame
>> though.
>>

> Might be in touch for the ROMs in due course...  I'm curious as to why
> auctions should offer less expensive SD cards - is this just people
> upgrading?

Yes. Don't expect 4GB SD cards to be out (and affordably luring) in the
market, unless they are being shipped from China. There are clear signs for
distinguishing sellers based in the UK and those who seek to rip you off on
P&P while the price appears tempting.

I bought my 32MB card in 2003 (don't laugh. It was fine capacity at the time)
and 256MB the following year. Swapping the cards enables me to have copies
of my diary in separate locations, just in case I lose the handheld (with
card inserted). The recent purchase of a card reader is a pleasing addition
(although the latest of pilot-link got the -d option implemented, for SD
card transfers).

Ironically, after many years of refusing to buy USB storage (other than an
external hard-drive), I decided to buy that SD card reader (needed for
presentation file). Only days later I received a free USB kit with a 0.5GB
pen drive at the conference. I'll probably give it away as a gift (the USB
key, not the SD card). Need one?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: sheep outnumber people in NZ
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  9:35am  up 72 days 14:38,  12 users,  load average: 0.93, 0.89, 1.00