Re: Open Source Projects Make Coders Happier

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 14 July 2006 14:14 \__

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_frm/thread/ecaefa9065ac3c90/ed98111f091f80a6?lnk=st&q=Apache+group%3Acomp.os.linux.advocacy+author%3Anessuno%40wigner.berkeley.edu&rnum=1&hl=en#ed98111f091f80a6

> Of course this does not apply to all FOSS code, but as a general rule I
> think it is valid.

To elaborate:

(1) A recent survey showed IT to be one of the most stress-imposing
occupations. I cannot recall if it was argued that 90/99% of all people in
IT dread the thought of going to work. The figures are roughly right though.

(2) Programmers seek creativity, or expression. Code that is not visible
gives little or no incentive towards efficiency, good and clear
documentation, and elegance.

(3) Management as opposed to peer encouragement: that's a factor.

(4) Code gets fixed when the boss says it should or when payment (/a la/
Microsoft's recent bounty hunt for Vista) is involved. If the code is
perceived as property of the corporation, it is the responsibility of that
corporation to have it fixed. Personal liability takes low precedence.
That's from the POV of the coder... there's no sense of ownership...

(5) How many people will be able to see the flaws in the programmer's code?
Can it be swept under the carpet so that the deadline is reached (allowing
the programmer to drive back home earlier)?

(6) If the coder get fired or quits (rarer in OSS), will s/he mind the
problems that successors will face?

(7) Working home/internationally.

I had the great pleasure of being paid to work on a GPL project back in 2002.
This truly helped me appreciate Open Source development models. Friendly
relationships; highly flexible working hours, etc.

Anyway, these was just trail of thoughts... streams of consciousness. I am
sure that better things have been written many times in the past, which are
far more comprehensive.