Re: [Mews] Graphics Card Offer Improved Linux Support

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 12 July 2006 23:01 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Ray Ingles <sorceror@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>>
>>>  The main thing they complained about with Linux drivers was how hard it
>>> was to enable overclocking. For their target market that might be
>>> important, but for me that has no attraction at all. I want stable first
>>> and formost, after that I'll worry about fast.
>>>
>>>  Linux is actually an excellent platform to develop games for. OpenGL is
>>> nice for graphics, and SDL really *is* a Simple, Direct media Layer.
>>> What with console releases being important, the engines are
>>> cross-platform *anyway*, so a Linux version isn't particularly difficult
>>> to make. We're seeing it more and more now.
>

> Sadly, there are some sabotage attempts.
>
> http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/openglvista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| In the current implementation (as of 2005-09-22) of the OpenGL
>| graphics library in Windows Vista - a soon to be released new version of
>| the Microsoft Windows operating system, OpenGL is not a stand alone
>| library. Instead it functions as a wrapper around DirectX, and is
>| frozen to the vanilla version of OpenGL 1.4.
>|
>| This means that OpenGL applications in Windows Vista will, most
>| likely, suffer from severe performance loss, that, when an OpenGL driver
>| is loaded, the Windows operating system will have odd behaviours and
>| that future versions of OpenGL will not affect the Windows Vista
>| platform. This would result in less developers actively supporting
>| OpenGL, and as a result, less applications written which are easy to
>| port to another platform or easy to maintain.
> `----
>

>> It would make huge sense to start in SDL, I think.  There's something
>> rather amusing about using the caca library for rendering a film :-)
>

> *LOL* I remember the first time that I saw somebody mention libcaca, the
> context being bad names of Linux applications or, as in this case, a
> library.

I've never been sure whether this name were a joke or not.  As you say,
it's unlikely to get a wider audience interested.  It brings to mind,
many years ago, when we were first looking at using IP for telephony
transport, someone came up with the acronym PIG for PSTN/Internet
Gateway.  Of course, we call them media gateways, now.

One of the disadvantages of having children is that they eventually get old
enough to give you presents they make at school.
		-- Robert Byrne