Re: (Rant) Implications of Choosing Microsoft Exchange for E-mail

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 12 July 2006 22:00 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 12 July 2006 14:10 \__
>>
>>> I was flying United Airlines to London recently.  An hour into the
>>> flight, the in-flight entertainment (tv, music etc) went blank.  A few
>>> minutes later they announced that they were having technical
>>> difficulties with it, and expected it to be back up in half an hour,
>>> after a "reboot."  Don't think it was running on Linux.
>>
>> There are some Linux-based systems on the Airbus models, which I doubt is
>> what United Airlines use as carriers. When I flew American Airlines a
>> couple of months ago, the system appeared to be Windows-based, with some
>> kind of Java overlays.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/milliped/116393699/
>>
>> I am fairly sure it's not GIMP'ed in. Maybe a routine reboot as well. I
>> noticed that airports reboot Windows XP every night, or so it seems.
>>
>> A quick&dirty search on Flickr (I had the one above tattooed in my mind)
>> also reveals:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadford/10252045/
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidbrunelle/81350400/
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/keitaro/125804973/
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/34492983@N00/155790058/
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/zog/51916038/
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashoe/173023442/
>>
>> The colleagues whom I share an office with had a BSoD for about an hour
>> yesterday. I didn't ask why. Don't want to touch an already touchy
>> subject... it keeps the support staff occupied though. And you know what
>> they say: "Busy staff is happy staff".
>>

> Microsoft anywhere near machines that carry people scares the sh1t out
> of me.  I avoid US aeroplanes like the plague, as they seem to have MS
> at least on the in-flight stuff (as it never seems to work), whereas
> airbuses always seem to be functional.  There was another posting
> recently indicating that Formula 1 is about to become the most dangerous
> sport on the planet, as MS have, apparently, been given a contract to
> supply /Engine management/ to F1 teams - all of them.  Can you imagine
> anything more dangerous?  You're cornering at 170mph, and the ems has a
> momentary glitch, raises revs to 12000 when you were gently easying up
> to 9000, and you end up looking like Ayrton Senna.

"Hey, John, we have got to patch that car, remember? It's Tuesday...."

> How can anyone let Microsoft kill people like this?  It's disgusting.

Kill?! But they call it "Live". Speaking of which, Microsoft Watch indicates
that Microsoft has begun a bullish marketing (through links) campaign to
promote Live, including the CRM software which they recently introduced (how
does their good friend SAP feel about it?).

What also comes to mind when I hear of links/marketing campaigns is the
number one spot for the phrase 'linux' in Google (which Microsoft of course
bought to spread FUD through Get the Facts).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  5:05am  up 76 days 10:08,  11 users,  load average: 2.20, 1.83, 1.64