Re: Windows 98: Microsoft Shoots Own Foot, Linux to Gain

__/ [ NoNamer ] on Wednesday 12 July 2006 04:43 \__

http://techsearch.cmp.com/blog/archives/2006/07/microsoft_is_sh.html?loc=software_and_web_development

> The licensing terms on Windows 98/ME clearly stated when support would
> end.  The buyers of the product knew *exactly* when support would
> terminate.  MS had actually extended critical support patches beyond
> the end-of-life date of 98/ME.
>
> If you don't like it TOUGH SHIT don't buy their product and then bitch
> about things you KNEW about.
>
> RedHat doesn't support its older products either, you have to BUY their
> latest offerings.  Same with IBM's products, same with Oracle's, same
> with SAP's, hopefully you see a pattern here.
>
> With cars you get a 3 year warranty.  You can buy an extended warranty
> if you wish.  But the bottom line is that you *KNOW* when the warranty
> runs out - you don't go bitch to Toyota or Ford when the warranty runs
> out and 8 years later you need a fix.
>
> As for these users switching to Linux, do you think MS cares?  They
> were stuck on 98 so long and aren't bothering to upgrade to something
> almost a decade newer?  I doubt MS is targeting these customers.  (BTW,
> neither is RedHat, Novell, or any other major Linux vendor).
>
> Let Linux have these old fart technology anti-users.  BFD.
>
> So if you are still on 98 and whining to MS, STFU, go out and buy XP or
> go out and buy RedHat, but do SOMETHING instead of WHINING and BITCHING
> about something you KNEW would happen.
>
> There I feel a LOT better now.

While I appreciate some of the fundamental points you make, they do *not*
apply to the case at hand. We are not talking about basic maintenance,
extensions, and bug fixes. These operating systems are *viral* and without
support they bring about damage upon others (think, for example, about a car
that can explode... or maybe a Dell laptop *grin*).

Would you kindly explain to me why I had to purge 600 comment spam this
morning, as well as 1400 E-mail SPAM, all/the large majority of which
originated from Windows botnets? Microsoft takes no liability (see
EULA/waiver) for its own mistakes. I once took this to law forums, but
Microsoft appear to be a lost case in this context. There is not much that
an ISP with plenty of clients can do. Besides, people can change ISP's and
the increased cost of fining for infections/disconnections raises the
overall bill (for *all* of us), as does the cost of extra hardware that
handles DDOS and the many varieties of SPAM.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
roy      pts/10                        Wed Jul 12 05:02 - 05:25  (00:23)