Re: ATi Serves Linux Equally

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ivan Groznii
<ivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on 31 Jul 2006 08:46:49 -0700
<1154360809.259998.166650@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> The company name stands for "Hate The I", where the I stands for
>> interoperability. Just crossed my mind, that idea...
>
> AMD definitely has some housecleaning to do.  Until I see some
> definitive proof ATI has mended their ways, I'm sticking with Nvidia.

I'm not all that happy with either of them but I did get
both my ATi and my nvidia card working -- the ATi is now
sitting in my Kayak and it's reasonably happy playing
NexUIZ (at the lowest possible texture settings; the
box is 256M and has an 833 MHz Pentium).  It even looks
reasonably normal.

I think Mesa has some problems; I inadvertantly brought up
a display that looks really really peculiar texture-wise
(the tiles shrunk into little squares), though the actual
structures looked more or less OK.  Since at the time it
was also dog-slow and had stuttering sound, I'm assuming
this is the software rendering of OpenGL (Mesa) and that
there was too much demand on the poor processor to keep up;
once I got the ATi hardware drivers resolved the display
was a bit slow but the sound was normal, given that the
Kayak has exactly one built-in speaker.

One minor hardware glitch: my card (or my
monitor??) apparently cannot handle 1280x1024; however,
1152x864 is no problem.

The main problem with ATi at this point I have is that for
some reason /dev/dri/card0 has group "root" instead of
"video"; this is probably an issue somewhere with udev
config files which I'll either get fixed automatically
(by having Gentoo update the files using etc-update)
or dig through.

For its part nvidia continues its merry silliness with
xorg 7.1 on aurigae.  Until that gets resolved I'm forced
to hang back at xorg 7.0.  At least now I should be able
to automate most of the build process -- but now alsa wants
to play stupid as well for some reason.  Sigh...GCC 4.1
is a pain.

I could be happier but considering I picked up the ATi card
for $60 a year or so (if not more) back and the nvidia for
$100, I could do far worse.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.