Re: How much safer is Ubuntu than windows?

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 31 July 2006 16:49 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Sinister Midget <phydeaux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>> On 2006-07-31, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted
>>> something concerning:
>>>>
>> <snip>

>>> slobrains isn't interested in fixes. Otherwise s/h/it would have found
>>> multiple ways to kill/restart processes, restart services, etc.
>>>

>> I suppose if you're really a windows person, then rebooting is the
>> "natural" choice.
>
> No access to what precedes a certain so-called runlevel? I don't think you
> can get config.sys, for example, to have an effect without a reboot. But I'm
> not too sure... cmd/command.com were never tools that beg to be used. They
> were neglected and made detracted (a mistake which Monad attempts to make up
> for).

>From DOS6 onwards, you could have a choice system in config.sys, so you
could select during the boot process some of the personality of the
machine.  This was mainly in order to fine-tune the memory management
around the traditional DOS-related limitations, mostly so that people
could get their favourite games to work.

As you say, there wasn't anything really like runlevels as such.  I did
come up with a menu system with some self-modifying aspects, so that it
could default at the /next/ bootup to a different config.sys and
autoexec.bat set of options - this was actually very useful for running
a wide range of software, but in reality, it was a real hack around
fundamental OS problems.

You will overcome the attacks of jealous associates.