Re: DFS throwing cola bozos a bone

__/ [ Hadron Quark ] on Monday 31 July 2006 14:06 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> __/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 31 July 2006 08:31 \__
>>
>>> I read an article in the newspaper recently about the great
>>> improvements in voice recognition softwware for Windows, the bad demo
>>> notwithstanding.   Somewhat later I saw another article (probably on
>>> cola) about great improvements in the same for Linux (free version).  I
>>> don't know how the two compare, however.  Sorry I don't remember
>>> details.
>>

>> Linux has some new speech recognition server. Being commercial, it should
>> be far better than all the smaller projects.
>>
>>                 http://linux.sys-con.com/read/249714.htm
>
> http://www.wizzardsoftware.com/wizzard_wizzscribe.php
>
>  Price
> (1 WizzScribe Transcription for Windows Runtime, one language, for one
> processor*) ......................$2400.00
>
> I thought that you thought commercial SW was the work of the devil! Glad
> to see you're not as blinkered as I originally though.

It's a server, so I imagine it can be shared. Besides, shoddy voice
recognition engines, such as that which I once took for a test drive under
Mac OS 9, will never be put to use. Below a certain level of
sensitivity/tolerance, it's utterly useless.

> I see this stuff is based on IBM work : I used their stuff years ago on
> OS/2 - it was quite good.

By concidence, I have just come across the following:

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=191600145&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

The Upgraded Dragon Speech Recognition Software: Almost Perfect

Jul 31, 2006 12:00 AM

,----[ Quote ]
| Nuance Communications promises its Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 will
| transform the PC-user experience. A test of the software indicates that
| while that's a fragile promise, it does hold some truth.
`----

I had some long conmversations about Dragon, the context being Palm oS. I
wonder if a mobile version has been made available/ever popularised.