Re: DFS throwing cola bozos a bone

  • Subject: Re: DFS throwing cola bozos a bone
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:51:03 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 31 July 2006 08:31 \__

> I read an article in the newspaper recently about the great
> improvements in voice recognition softwware for Windows, the bad demo
> notwithstanding.   Somewhat later I saw another article (probably on
> cola) about great improvements in the same for Linux (free version).  I
> don't know how the two compare, however.  Sorry I don't remember
> details.

Linux has some new speech recognition server. Being commercial, it should be
far better than all the smaller projects.

                http://linux.sys-con.com/read/249714.htm

Several times in the past I linked to an item that reminds it's not the first
time Microsoft screwed up with voice recognition. One wonders why they don't
just kill Dragon NaturallySpeaking (i.e. buy them). Anyway...

http://chris.pirillo.com/2005/04/27/microsoft-power-users-part-ii/

<quote>
My earlier post on the pre-beta of Longhorn illustrates my point
ENTIRELY. And I'm complaining not for the sake of complaining - I
truly, honestly want to make this better for myself and the rest of the world
(simultaneously). I've given pages upon pages of valid feedback and ideas to
the MSN Search Champs, Featured Community Summit leaders, et al - but the
loop needs to be made tighter. I also know the marketing / PR departments
aren't going to understand a word I say.
Even as I'm watching the 2005 WinHEC keynote right now (which I downloaded
from a fan site, FWIW), I'm screaming at my screen! The Longhorn
demonstration was faaaaaar from impressive, and left me NOT wanting more -
but wanting to walk away altogether. Instead of watching with awe and
wonder, I'm watching with a very confused look on my face. My brow is
furrowed, and my fingers are slamming against the keys of my keyboard at
this very moment? I'm growing increasingly impatient.
</quote>

It might be part I (the first installment) that talks about voice recognition
disasters and embarrassment.

Pirillo recently moved to LAMP, WordPress-based blogging, with which he is
satisfied, How long before he joins Scoble and jumps ship, despite the fact
Redmond virtually feeds him?

Also see: http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/05/24/windows-vista-feedback/

Similar huge list exists for Outlook 2007... among many other nags and
complaints.

Best wishes,

GNU/Linux is beautiful. < http://youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws >
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S