Re: Recycle Bin not enough, Microsoft adds "Previous Versions" support on the file system level

  • Subject: Re: Recycle Bin not enough, Microsoft adds "Previous Versions" support on the file system level
  • From: Hadron Quark <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:31:10 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:4+up8oY3Wbtaax5IrXrdYExPTb0=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> __/ [ Jim ] on Monday 31 July 2006 12:32 \__

>>> Linux can achieve all of this /upon demand/. It just doesn't
>>> do  this  by  default;  I  am not  sure  it  can  present  a
>>> simplified  UI,  either  (albeit a day or two  with  GTK  or
>>> Trolltech  Qt Designer can 'fix' that). I thought about this
>>
>> So, like any SW : it can be done? But Linux does do all this too through
>> trash cans, Synaptec installed backup managers. All configurable of
>> course.
>>
>>> feature  while  walking down the street. To be  honest  with
>>> you,  that demo which shows a picture of a flower with  some
>>> transitions  (that  which you see in various articles  about
>>> this new feature)... I just can't see how it becomes useful.
>>> My  mother,  for example, will only ratate an  image  90/270
>>> degrees.  That's  the most she would do. No manipulation  of
>>> any  kind. So why revert to old(er) versions? For text  it's
>>
>> This might surprise you, but your mothers "rotation needs" dont
>> generally guide leading edge OS & GUI desogn decisions.
>>
>>> rather  impractical  for reasons I mentioned in  an  earlier
>>> post on the subject.
>>
>> I fail to see how (if disk space is an issue), action rollback can ever
>> be a liability or impractical.
>>

>>> The idea is neat in theory. What's to gain? To most of us --
>>> nothing.  What's to lose: privacy; disk space;  performance;
>>
>> How so privacy?
>
> being destruction of data not guaranteed short of a military wipe, maybe?
> OK, other OSen and filesystems share the same risk, but that depends on the
> OS, the filesystem, and the method used to delete the data. Or would you be
> willing to trust national or industrial secrets to a Vista box?

Of course not. But I dont see anything particularly safer on Linux
either to be fair. We all know you hav to do multiple surface blits to
erase the remnant magnetic signals.

>> Did I miss something? Its not saving your private info
>> on MS servers is it?
>
> It doesn't have to. Again. WGA already took care of that detail.
>
>> Performance? Nope. There tends to be a lot of spare
>> cpu and disk suage spare when we're typing documents.
>
> Refer to my comment on video editing/rendering. Disk space is precious,
> especially when dealing with DV bitrates, even if you are playing with a
> 250GB stack.

Sure : turn off redundancy then. I dont see how this is a windows v
linus thing. Linux has these features too.

>>> complexity.  Vista remains "too little too late"^tm.  People
>>
>> Complexity is gained not lost.
>>
>>> could  find  better  uses  for  a  rational   database-based
>>> fileystem,  which  Linux  has already got (as  well  as  the
>>> semantic  one),  unlike  Windows  Vista.  Beagle  and  other
>>> similar tools complement this further.
>>
>> database file system are all well and good in theory : wasnt Vista
>> supposed to feature one and decided that it wasnt viable for real time
>> file access?
>>

> Mac OS has had one since version 8.3: HPFS+
> There are others which are live, their names escape me right now.

There are loads of such things for loads of platforms. But there is an
overhead. Currnt FS *are* a form of database - albeit not RDBMS -
designed to be fast & efficient. And you can turn it around too. BTrieve
was one such database - a file based DB with file access/read/write for
fast access - no SQL front end.